There is not a truer statement then that. So many photographers try too hard! They add a thousand lights, gobos... etc. It isn't about the equipment! (well maybe sometimes) Here is a perfect example.
I use to teach at a major art school on the east coast. From time to time, I taught in the Continuing Studies Program. Countless times I had students that were wealthy doctors and lawyers. They always had the finest equipment! (Hassleblad, Leica, etc) However, 9 times out of 10... they had the weakest images (They may have been technically perfect, but nothing more) They never took any chances, and were petrified of making mistakes. In the same classes there were students that had nothing, they arrived on their skateboards, and worked with their second hand cameras, or even a toy camera with plastic lenses. Now their images were fresh, creative, and vibrant! Don't get caught up in the equipment (or what you have or don't have) and... remember my favorite quote...
"Of what use is lens and light for those who lack in mind and sight"
(This is one of my photographs and was created with one hot light containing a 100 watt soft white bulb)

Hello Instructor Phillips,
ReplyDeleteGreat information and I am with you in this. It is not the equipment that gets you that amazing photograph it is the education and talen. It is allowing your self to express what you visualize and making mistakes and learning from them as well.
Thanks.. Izzy !
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely correct, making mistakes can be a big part of the process !
How do I follow your blog Professor? I have one here too and I am sending you the link on an email. It is not much just some of my images and life in photos.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree i find some my best work is when I don't have to think about all the equipment by keeping it simple i can think about the subject
ReplyDeleteThat makes perfect sense...
DeleteTo follow the blog, check out the announcement titled.. NEW- Photography Student Professional Network... it tells you everything you need to know about both blogs.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your link as well...
Thank you and I have added you to my readers blog. I am looking forward to all the great information you wil provide.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome....
ReplyDelete