Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Workforce Wednesday- Pricing !
Ok… here is a tip I learned a long time ago. Want to know the most valuable question in the world when it comes to pricing? Here it is… " What is Your Budget ? " Four simple words can make a WORLD of difference. Nine times out of ten, the client or art director knows EXACTLY how much they are willing to spend. The trick, is to get them to let you in on it. I remember when I did my very FIRST job, it was an image for a furniture company's annual report. They wanted a dozen black and white toned silver prints ( very arty and shot throughout the factory ) When they asked how much I would charge, I literally had NO IDEA ! Frankly, I would have done it for a couple of hundred dollars, with the prospect of finally being published. However, I remember what my old Professor had told me regarding the budget. BUT.. reword it a bit, meaning.. don't ask what is your budget per say. ( because often, they will finch ) But say.. ok, so… what was your budget on this last year? Strangely enough.. that will tell you that in a heartbeat! Then... adjust for inflation! Long story short and I remember it like it was yesterday, the art director said. Would you, could you do it.. for $1800.00? ( that is what we paid last year ) I about FELL OUT OF MY SEAT ! But get this… it doesn't stop there! I said, well.. it would be a hardship but I would be willing to do it for $ 1800.00 AND a piece of hand made furniture that I had my eye on. ( it was worth at least $1000.00 at the time ) Funny thing is, they AGREED !
I also included an image of a poster that I created a while back. This was the other end of the spectrum. The agency was working on the account pro- bono and had NO money. BUT, they were producing a beautiful full color poster and would give me full creative control. I agreed and shot the piece for nothing. In the final stage of production, the poster was cancelled! ( but it did get a design award in Print magazine, so that is something ) THAT, was a learning experience and I was out the cost of the model, props and my time! ) From that day forward, I added a CLAUSE.. that if the object that I had agreed to produce was not created, I received a prior agreed upon amount. Live and LEARN !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment