Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Workforce Wednesday- Never let them off Easy OR the Power of a Recommendation...


OK… so here is a very important tip that has come in very handy over the years. I call it, " pulling a Columbo ." If you are not familiar with the old television show Columbo, you should be. Peter Falk played a disheveled homicide detective, that upon first impression, came off as bumbling and inept. He was consistently underestimated by his suspects, but was in fact, sly as a fox. One of his trademark moves, was to say goodbye and then stick his head back in the door. ( Just when people thought he was gone and ask ONE more question ) He was very shrewd and people usually answered it, or said what he wanted them to say, just to get rid of him !

I have found that the " Columbo Technique" works quite nicely with Art Directors as well. Meaning, I never let them off EASY and if I have a particularly uninterested creative director or a portfolio review that has not gone well, ( which I know almost immediately, by the way they flip through my book- like a disinterested kid scanning a picture book ) I know it is time to leave. They are usually cordial, but say something like, " oh no, no, thank you…  we really don't use THIS kind of work! " I thank them for their time, gather up my things and start out the door. But then… I wait in the hall for about 20 seconds and pop my head back in… At this point, I say… " Is there anyone you know that uses this kind of stuff ! " BINGO… they immediately fire off a NAME ( just to get RID of me ) For example, they will say try Joe Blow at the Everyman Agency, he likes the weird stuff. " There you GO! Now you have a name and a recommendation, of SORTS ! The next day, I call Joe Blow and tell him I was just over at the Blankety Blank Agency and Blank recommended I show him my portfolio! It works 9 times out of 10 and I get an appointment. Frankly, this is how I have found many of my BEST clients…. THANKS COLUMBO !




No comments:

Post a Comment