Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Workforce Wednesday- Why did You Hire Me ?


OK.. here is an answer to the age old question of why did I get hired over someone else? Well, frankly there are many different answers and sometimes it just comes down to money! ( meaning- someone else was cheaper than you ) but RARELY ! Especially in advertising, if they like your STYLE, they are usually willing to pay for it. Therefore, I decided to go to the source and ASK! I called an Art Director friend I have worked with many times over the years and here is his response.. ( it's really quite simple )
" You know what you are doing, you are always on time, your work is unique and you are low maintenance " WOW, ok… so let's break that down ! That means I have the skill down, I turn everything in on time, my images don't look like they came from stock and I don't WHINE ! There you go… sounds like a formula.

Now.. the quickest way to get fired in this business, is to be LATE! ( it effects everything, scheduling, layout, printing, etc. ) If you are late more than once or twice, that's it.. you are done. ( there are a lot more fish in the sea ) Same goes for whining! If you question everything, complain, act like a Diva.. they will never call you again! Art Director's work with people they LIKE ! So be nice, willing to make changes, be on time and create innovative work.

I also learned a long time ago, that there is a thin line between Fine Art and Commercial imagery. Here is a perfect example… the first image of the Alien face-hugger was shot strictly as a personal piece. However, an Art Director saw it in my portfolio and bells went off! He said , THAT'S WHAT I WANT ! So don't be afraid to include something a little different in your book. ( it might be the reason you get the job ) It works for me ALL the time !

Lastly, let me leave you with one more tip and it has to do with getting PAID ! Sometimes, you have no trouble getting your advance, but then, when it comes time to get your final payment.. they seem to forget all about you! Here is a quick way to FIX that… just add this simple line to your contract and the images are worthless to them.

" Rights granted ONLY upon full and timely payment. " This means, if they don't pay in full.. they don't have the right to use the pictures !






No comments:

Post a Comment