Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Workforce Wednesday- Where Do I Start?


Ok.. so welcome to the first in a series of posts regarding getting WORK! I think one of the BEST places to start, is with these BOOKS ! The first is titled, The Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guide Lines ( published by the Graphic Artists Guild ) and BOTH The Photographer's Market and the Artist's Market ( published by North Light Books ) They can all be found at your local Barnes and Noble and include a free subscription to the online version.

Now.. you may ask, " What am I supposed to DO with these books? " The answer, would be to read them and use them for searching out potential clients. That is especially true, with both of the MARKET books. They list everything from galleries to paper products. For example.. let's say you shoot a lot of nature images. One of the BEST places to sell them... is for greeting cards, posters and related products. Everything you need to know, from contacting the company to knowing what to send.. is right there for you! I found one of my first card companies through this book ( years ago ) and had my work included in a series of cards. I received a NICE check from royalties four times a year, for a very long time.

As for the Handbook.. this is a GREAT place to get a feel for the going rate and what kind of money can be made, as well as understanding usage.

All three of these books will pay for themselves after ONE decent job! Look em over & have Fun !




No comments:

Post a Comment